Our First Lady, Michelle Obama, will go down in history as one of the most influential women of our time. So featuring her as one of my Black History spotlights is a given. Today you will discover some interesting facts about Mrs. Obama that you may have not known. One thing I’m sure you noticed is her undeniable style. She dresses with such elegance and grace. “I love clothes,” said Michelle. “First and foremost, I wear what I love. That’s what women have to focus on: what makes them happy and what makes them feel comfortable and beautiful. If I can have any impact, I want women to feel good about themselves and have fun with fashion.”
• For her first date with Barack Obama he took her to see Spike Lee’s Do The Right Thing. She was his boss at the Chicago law firm, Sidley & Austin, where she was one of only 14 black lawyers.
• Before seriously agreeing to date Barack, she asked her brother to take on her suitor on the basketball court (her father and brother had always said you could tell a lot about someone’s character on the court).
• She hates panty hose—too “painful.”
• For breakfast, she likes fruit, eggs and bacon. “We’re bacon people” she said on The View.
• About her husband, she once said, “Barack didn’t pledge riches, only that life would be interesting. On that promise he’s delivered.”
• Although a great athlete, she shied away from competitive sports because, her big brother says, she hated to lose.
• In July 2008, Michelle was voted top of the best-dressed list by Vanity Fair. The magazine refers to her as “our lady in sheath,” in reference to her passion for sheath-style dresses and simple tailoring. Her fashion style has been likened to that of former first lady Jackie Kennedy.
• As a child, she loved her Easy-Bake Oven.
• Within the family, her nickname is “Miche” (pronounced “Meesh”).
• In an article by Harriette Cole of Ebony magazine, Sept 2008 “The Real Michelle Obama,” Michelle called her husband “her best accessory.” We complement each other in almost every respect. In the way that a wonderful pair of shoes looks great with a good suit.”
• During the campaign, Michelle refused to spend more than one night away from home and insisted on having one family sit-down meal all together once a week.
Sources: People.com and Suite101.com