Will you be visiting the Indiana State Fair this Friday on opening day? If so, I dare you to try the Spaghetti Ice Cream. This colorful concoction actually doesn’t sound that bad once you realize the concept behind the idea. The dish consists of spaghetti shaped Italian ice cream (“gelato”) with strawberry “tomato sauce,” shaved white chocolate “cheese” and chocolate “meatballs.” Now that sounds much better right? Such a creative idea too! The dish will sell for $5, and defeated five other dairy creations in the 2012 Signature Food contest at the Indiana State Fair.
Bob and Joanie Monroe of Monroe Concessions in Marion, Ind., came up with the concept after learning that this year’s fair is the “Year of Dairy Cows” and will also feature an exhibit on Italy in the International Pavilion. Online voters selected this dish after reading the insights from a panel of eight judges who tasted all six entries. You can find this winning dessert on Main Street across from the Pepsi Coliseum.
Here are the other entries, which will all be on sale at the State Fair, so you can judge for yourself:
• Cheese Squared (Coffman Concessions): Chipotle, creamy spinach or garlic herb cream cheese wrapped in Swiss cheese, then lightly breaded and fried. ($6 for 5 squares)
• Moo Chew Meal (American Dairy Association): A light, refreshing lemon chiller milkshake served with a sourdough grilled cheese sandwich loaded with American and Pepper Jack cheese. ($5)
• Micro Beer Cheese Sauce (Barto’s Catering): Local micro brew-fused beer cheese sauce served on either fresh cut fries, hefty burger or on the side for dipping. ($1/cup)
• Caramel Corn Sundae (Baskin Robbins): Vanilla ice cream with hot caramel topping, caramel corn, fresh whipped cream, nuts and a cherry. ($5.50 for 2 scoops)
• Blue Ribbon Cannoli (Bakerman Concessions): A crisp Italian cookie shell filled with sweet, whipped ricotta cheese, whipping cream, powdered sugar, mini chocolate chips and dried berries, finished off with a powdered sugar sprinkle. ($6 for 2)
The Indiana State Fair will take place August 3-19th, for more information click here. I can’t wait to visit the fair and eat all the food I possibly can.