Why didn’t anyone tell me getting rid of your clothes is liberating? So I’ve been purging a lot lately. Half of my closet is empty friends! Anyone who knows me knows this is unusual, because unfortunately I can be a bit of a hoarder. Hey don’t judge me, I was born that way.
This item means “this” so I couldn’t possibly get rid of it. Or “that?” No I haven’t worn that in years, but I plan to some day.
Really Adrian? Really? Obviously there are some exceptions, but for the most part I’m ridiculous to the max.
Well no more Ms. Hoarder Hiney! I am letting go. No really! I’m letting go, turning away and slamming the door. Of course I had to throw a Frozen reference in there; it was only necessary (insert giggles).
But seriously friends this has been a long time coming. I find myself happy to get rid of old things, and even more excited to welcome new items in my life. I’m over here smiling while I get rid of one sweater I’ve worn since high school. Success! (Throws fist into the air).
Which brings me to…hmm let’s call it my Clothing Contract. I like to write things down so this is a good start for me. These are the guidelines I am following now. Maybe they can help you too. Plus we are entering into a new season and a new year soon, so this is perfect timing for purging right?
I present to you my new (well only) and improved Clothing Contract.
Get rid of it if…
• It’s no longer fun to wear.
• You purchase something new. It’s called the One-In, One-out System. I’m a try my hardest to do this one. Eek!
• You can no longer fit it. (Duh!)
• You rarely wear it. If I don’t acknowledge its existence, why bother with it?
• You have to convince yourself to wear it. I’ve worn stuff because I felt guilty after buying it, because it just wasn’t what I thought it’d be. No sir, no more!
• It’s has a set odor, too many holes, filled with stains… let’s just say it’s no longer sanitary. Yuck!
• You just feel like it!
Obviously some pieces have more shelf life than others, but ultimately you know what your gut is telling you concerning your clothes. Remember it’s about quality and having a functional wardrobe.
Sometimes at the end of the day you have to be willing to just… let it go.
How do you determine it’s time to get rid of your clothes, or anything else for that matter? Oh and by the way, if you are interested I am selling some of my items on Poshmark under akavenue86.
Thanks for reading!
Photo Credit: Polyvore